What encoding to use for this error?

From: Patrick Hatcher <pathat(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: What encoding to use for this error?
Date: 2005-04-06 14:27:26
Lists: pgsql-general

We're testing moving our data to UNICODE from LATIN1, but when I try to
import my data, I get the following error:

DBD::Pg::st execute failed: ERROR: Unicode characters greater than or
equal to
0x10000 are not supported
CONTEXT: COPY bcp_mdc_products, line 120, column description: "Lladró
"Ducks in
a Basket""

What encoding should I be using for characters like this? I thought
unicode was supposed to handle these types of characters?

TIA

Patrick Hatcher