Re: plperl crash with Debian 6 (64 bit), pl/perlu, libwww and https

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: plperl crash with Debian 6 (64 bit), pl/perlu, libwww and https
Date: 2011-08-04 13:07:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

I have been helping some people to debug a SIGALARM related crash
induced by using pl/perlu http get functionality

I have been so far able to repeat the crash only on Debian 64 bit
computers. DB create script and instructions for reproducing the crash
attached

The crash is related to something leaving begind a bad SIGALARM handler,
as it can be (kind of) fixed by resetting sigalarm to nothing using perl
function

REATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION reset_sigalarm() RETURNS VOID
LANGUAGE plperlu
AS $_X$
$SIG{ALRM} = 'IGNORE';
$_X$;

( unfortunately this hoses deadlock detection and statement_timeout )

Environment where this crash does happen:

Debian GNU/Linux 6.0 - x86-64
openssl 0.9.8o-4squeeze1
postgresql-9.0 9.0.4-1~bpo60+1
postgresql-plperl-9.0 9.0.4-1~bpo60+1
libwww-perl 5.836-1

Postgresql is installed from backports

It does not happen on 32 bit ubuntu

--
-------
Hannu Krosing

Attachment Content-Type Size
plperl_crashtest.sql text/x-sql 1.3 KB

On 08/04/2011 09:07 AM, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have been helping some people to debug a SIGALARM related crash
> induced by using pl/perlu http get functionality
>
> I have been so far able to repeat the crash only on Debian 64 bit
> computers. DB create script and instructions for reproducing the crash
> attached
>
> The crash is related to something leaving begind a bad SIGALARM handler,
> as it can be (kind of) fixed by resetting sigalarm to nothing using perl
> function

So doesn't this look like a bug in the perl module that sets the signal
handler and doesn't restore it?

What happens if you wrap the calls to the module like this?:

{
local $SIG{ALRM};
# do LWP stuff here
}
return 'OK';

That should restore the old handler on exit from the block.

I think if you use a perl module that monkeys with the signal handlers
for any signal postgres uses all bets are off.

cheers

andrew

On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 15:07 +0200, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have been helping some people to debug a SIGALARM related crash
> induced by using pl/perlu http get functionality
>
> I have been so far able to repeat the crash only on Debian 64 bit
> computers. DB create script and instructions for reproducing the crash
> attached

Resending - the previous one was in pre-edit stage with
instructions/comments in estonian :(

> The crash is related to something leaving begind a bad SIGALARM handler,
> as it can be (kind of) fixed by resetting sigalarm to nothing using perl
> function
>
> REATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION reset_sigalarm() RETURNS VOID
> LANGUAGE plperlu
> AS $_X$
> $SIG{ALRM} = 'IGNORE';
> $_X$;
>
> ( unfortunately this hoses deadlock detection and statement_timeout )
>
> Environment where this crash does happen:
>
> Debian GNU/Linux 6.0 - x86-64
> openssl 0.9.8o-4squeeze1
> postgresql-9.0 9.0.4-1~bpo60+1
> postgresql-plperl-9.0 9.0.4-1~bpo60+1
> libwww-perl 5.836-1
>
> Postgresql is installed from backports
>
> It does not happen on 32 bit ubuntu

--
-------
Hannu Krosing
PostgreSQL Infinite Scalability and Performance Consultant
PG Admin Book: http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/books/

Attachment Content-Type Size
plperl_crashtest.sql text/x-sql 1.2 KB

On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 09:42 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 08/04/2011 09:07 AM, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have been helping some people to debug a SIGALARM related crash
> > induced by using pl/perlu http get functionality
> >
> > I have been so far able to repeat the crash only on Debian 64 bit
> > computers. DB create script and instructions for reproducing the crash
> > attached
> >
> > The crash is related to something leaving begind a bad SIGALARM handler,
> > as it can be (kind of) fixed by resetting sigalarm to nothing using perl
> > function
>
> So doesn't this look like a bug in the perl module that sets the signal
> handler and doesn't restore it?
>
> What happens if you wrap the calls to the module like this?:
>
> {
> local $SIG{ALRM};
> # do LWP stuff here
> }
> return 'OK';
>

> That should restore the old handler on exit from the block.
>
> I think if you use a perl module that monkeys with the signal handlers
> for any signal postgres uses all bets are off.

Sure, but how expensive would it be for pl/perl to do this
automatically ?

> cheers
>
> andrew

Excerpts from Hannu Krosing's message of jue ago 04 09:53:40 -0400 2011:
> On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 09:42 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> >
> > On 08/04/2011 09:07 AM, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> > > I have been helping some people to debug a SIGALARM related crash
> > > induced by using pl/perlu http get functionality
> > >
> > > I have been so far able to repeat the crash only on Debian 64 bit
> > > computers. DB create script and instructions for reproducing the crash
> > > attached
> > >
> > > The crash is related to something leaving begind a bad SIGALARM handler,
> > > as it can be (kind of) fixed by resetting sigalarm to nothing using perl
> > > function
> >
> > So doesn't this look like a bug in the perl module that sets the signal
> > handler and doesn't restore it?

I vaguely remember looking in the guts of LWP::UserAgent a few years ago
and being rather annoyed at the way it dealt with sigalrm -- it
interfered with other uses we had for the signal. I think we had to run
a patched version of that module or something, not sure.

> > What happens if you wrap the calls to the module like this?:
> >
> > {
> > local $SIG{ALRM};
> > # do LWP stuff here
> > }
> > return 'OK';
> >

> > That should restore the old handler on exit from the block.
> >

> Sure, but how expensive would it be for pl/perl to do this
> automatically ?

Probably too much, but then since this is an untrusted pl my guess is
that it's OK to request the user to do it only in functions that need
it. I wonder if we could have a check on return from a function that
the sighandler is still what we had before the function was called, to
help discover this problem.

> > I think if you use a perl module that monkeys with the signal handlers
> > for any signal postgres uses all bets are off.

Yeah.