Re: Misplaced pg_upgrade_support.so ?

Lists: pgsql-general
From: Glen Barber <glen(dot)j(dot)barber(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Misplaced pg_upgrade_support.so ?
Date: 2010-06-07 17:14:28
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Maybe this is better asked on -general instead of -testers.

First off, thank you for bringing this into contrib.

I built beta2 this morning to give pg_upgrade a test run, and everything
worked out great. The only thing I am not sure of is the expected
location of pg_upgrade_support.so. It is a default build with the
exception of "--prefix=/usr/local/pgsql-beta2"; pg_upgrade_support.so
ended up in /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/lib.

Here is what I saw when running pg_upgrade initially:

%pg_upgrade -d /var/db/pgsql/data \
-D /var/db/pgsql/data2 \
-b /usr/local/pgsql-beta1/bin \
-B /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/bin
Performing Consistency Checks
-----------------------------
Checking old data directory (/var/db/pgsql/data) ok
Checking new data directory (/var/db/pgsql/data2) ok

pg_upgrade_support.so must be created and installed in \
/usr/local/pgsql-beta2/lib/postgresql/pg_upgrade_support.so

Is this module ending up in the wrong location on install, or is
pg_upgrade looking in the wrong place?

Thanks and regards,

--
Glen Barber

> Is this module ending up in the wrong location on install, or is
> pg_upgrade looking in the wrong place?

I've received a reply on -testers about this, in case anyone is using
pg_upgrade with testing 9.0.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-testers/2010-06/msg00000.php

Glen Barber

> Maybe this is better asked on -general instead of -testers.
>
> First off, thank you for bringing this into contrib.
>
> I built beta2 this morning to give pg_upgrade a test run, and everything
> worked out great. The only thing I am not sure of is the expected
> location of pg_upgrade_support.so. It is a default build with the
> exception of "--prefix=/usr/local/pgsql-beta2"; pg_upgrade_support.so
> ended up in /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/lib.
>
> Here is what I saw when running pg_upgrade initially:
>
> %pg_upgrade -d /var/db/pgsql/data \
> -D /var/db/pgsql/data2 \
> -b /usr/local/pgsql-beta1/bin \
> -B /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/bin
> Performing Consistency Checks
> -----------------------------
> Checking old data directory (/var/db/pgsql/data) ok
> Checking new data directory (/var/db/pgsql/data2) ok
>

> pg_upgrade_support.so must be created and installed in \
> /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/lib/postgresql/pg_upgrade_support.so
>
> Is this module ending up in the wrong location on install, or is
> pg_upgrade looking in the wrong place?

Odd. I am confused where that "/postgresql/" is coming from. Can I see
your output of:

pg_config --pkglibdir

Thanks.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

>> Maybe this is better asked on -general instead of -testers.
>>
>> First off, thank you for bringing this into contrib.
>>
>> I built beta2 this morning to give pg_upgrade a test run, and everything
>> worked out great. The only thing I am not sure of is the expected
>> location of pg_upgrade_support.so. It is a default build with the
>> exception of "--prefix=/usr/local/pgsql-beta2"; pg_upgrade_support.so
>> ended up in /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/lib.
>>
>> Here is what I saw when running pg_upgrade initially:
>>
>> %pg_upgrade -d /var/db/pgsql/data \
>> -D /var/db/pgsql/data2 \
>> -b /usr/local/pgsql-beta1/bin \
>> -B /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/bin
>> Performing Consistency Checks
>> -----------------------------
>> Checking old data directory (/var/db/pgsql/data) ok
>> Checking new data directory (/var/db/pgsql/data2) ok
>>

>> pg_upgrade_support.so must be created and installed in \
>> /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/lib/postgresql/pg_upgrade_support.so
>>
>> Is this module ending up in the wrong location on install, or is
>> pg_upgrade looking in the wrong place?
>
> Odd. I am confused where that "/postgresql/" is coming from. Can I see
> your output of:
>
> pg_config --pkglibdir
>
> Thanks.

Sure thing:

%pg_config --pkglibdir
/usr/local/pgsql-beta2/lib/postgresql

Let me know if I can provide any additional information.

--
Glen Barber

> >> exception of "--prefix=/usr/local/pgsql-beta2"; pg_upgrade_support.so
> >> ended up in /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/lib.
> >>
> >> Here is what I saw when running pg_upgrade initially:
> >>
> >> %pg_upgrade -d /var/db/pgsql/data \
> >> -D /var/db/pgsql/data2 \
> >> -b /usr/local/pgsql-beta1/bin \
> >> -B /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/bin
> >> Performing Consistency Checks
> >> -----------------------------
> >> Checking old data directory (/var/db/pgsql/data) ok
> >> Checking new data directory (/var/db/pgsql/data2) ok
> >>

> >> pg_upgrade_support.so must be created and installed in \
> >> /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/lib/postgresql/pg_upgrade_support.so
> >>

> > pg_config --pkglibdir
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> Sure thing:
>
> %pg_config --pkglibdir
> /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/lib/postgresql
>
> Let me know if I can provide any additional information.

That is interesting. I ran configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql-beta2
using CVS HEAD (which should match 9.0 beta2), and my output is
different:

$ ./pg_config --pkglibdir
/usr/var/local/pgsql-beta2/lib

Notice the "/postgresql" is missing. This is before running pg_upgrade.

I am attaching my entire pg_config output. Can I see yours? Thanks.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

unknown_filename text/plain 1.4 KB

>>> pg_config --pkglibdir
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> Sure thing:
>>
>> %pg_config --pkglibdir
>> /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/lib/postgresql
>>
>> Let me know if I can provide any additional information.
>
> That is interesting. I ran configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql-beta2
> using CVS HEAD (which should match 9.0 beta2), and my output is
> different:
>
> $ ./pg_config --pkglibdir
> /usr/var/local/pgsql-beta2/lib
>
> Notice the "/postgresql" is missing. This is before running pg_upgrade.
>
> I am attaching my entire pg_config output. Can I see yours? Thanks.

Interestingly, I apparently would have had this issue with beta1:

%pwd
/usr/local/pgsql-beta1/bin
%./pg_config --pkglibdir
/usr/local/pgsql-beta1/lib/postgresql
%cd ../../pgsql-beta2/bin/
%./pg_config --pkglibdir
/usr/local/pgsql-beta2/lib/postgresql

I've attached pg_config output for both. To rule out something off with
my environment, I'm currently setting up a test environment on a
different machine, where I'll check out HEAD as well as beta1 and beta2.
Unless, of course, I'm missing something very obvious in the attached
output.

Glen Barber

Attachment Content-Type Size
beta1_pgconfig.txt text/plain 1010 bytes
beta2_pgconfig.txt text/plain 1010 bytes

> Interestingly, I apparently would have had this issue with beta1:
>
> %pwd
> /usr/local/pgsql-beta1/bin
> %./pg_config --pkglibdir
> /usr/local/pgsql-beta1/lib/postgresql
> %cd ../../pgsql-beta2/bin/
> %./pg_config --pkglibdir
> /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/lib/postgresql
>
> I've attached pg_config output for both. To rule out something off with
> my environment, I'm currently setting up a test environment on a
> different machine, where I'll check out HEAD as well as beta1 and beta2.
> Unless, of course, I'm missing something very obvious in the attached
> output.

After just realizing CONFIGURE isn't showing what I would expect to see,
I rebuilt after removing the original source directories. It looks like
I didn't 'gmake clean' before reconfiguring for the new target directories.

Sorry for the noise. Thank you for taking the time to look.

Glen Barber

> > Interestingly, I apparently would have had this issue with beta1:
> >
> > %pwd
> > /usr/local/pgsql-beta1/bin
> > %./pg_config --pkglibdir
> > /usr/local/pgsql-beta1/lib/postgresql
> > %cd ../../pgsql-beta2/bin/
> > %./pg_config --pkglibdir
> > /usr/local/pgsql-beta2/lib/postgresql
> >
> > I've attached pg_config output for both. To rule out something off with
> > my environment, I'm currently setting up a test environment on a
> > different machine, where I'll check out HEAD as well as beta1 and beta2.
> > Unless, of course, I'm missing something very obvious in the attached
> > output.
> >

> After just realizing CONFIGURE isn't showing what I would expect to see,
> I rebuilt after removing the original source directories. It looks like
> I didn't 'gmake clean' before reconfiguring for the new target directories.
>
> Sorry for the noise. Thank you for taking the time to look.

No problem. Glad we confirmed the cause.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com