Re: Question about crossing the pond.

Lists: pgeu-general
From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Question about crossing the pond.
Date: 2008-04-25 14:52:34
Lists: pgeu-general

Hello,

I have been threatening to make my presence known on the other side of
the pond for some time. The only thing that has stopped me is that I
haven't bothered to get a passport. That is changing. I am attempting
to figure out how I will do PGDay.IT/PGCon.EU and WEST (they happen
within a week of each other).

So my question is, if I get a Visa to Italy? Am I stuck in Italy until
I come back to the US? Or can I take a road trip up to France? If I am
allowed to cross borders, is Italy the place to try and get a Visa?
Should I try Britian instead or Germany instead?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 07:52:34AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been threatening to make my presence known on the other side
> of the pond for some time. The only thing that has stopped me is
> that I haven't bothered to get a passport. That is changing.

Do that immediately, like *today* if you haven't already.

> I am attempting to figure out how I will do PGDay.IT/PGCon.EU and
> WEST (they happen within a week of each other).
>
> So my question is, if I get a Visa to Italy? Am I stuck in Italy
> until I come back to the US? Or can I take a road trip up to France?
> If I am allowed to cross borders, is Italy the place to try and get
> a Visa? Should I try Britian instead or Germany instead?

At this point, you don't, as a US citizen, need a visa to enter any
country in the EU.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 07:52:34AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have been threatening to make my presence known on the other side
> > of the pond for some time. The only thing that has stopped me is
> > that I haven't bothered to get a passport. That is changing.
>
> Do that immediately, like *today* if you haven't already.

Well it will have to wait until next week as I am on my way to
Bellingham.

> At this point, you don't, as a US citizen, need a visa to enter any
> country in the EU.

Just to be clear are you saying I *only* need my passport?

Joshua D. Drake

> So my question is, if I get a Visa to Italy? Am I stuck in Italy until
> I come back to the US? Or can I take a road trip up to France? If I am
> allowed to cross borders, is Italy the place to try and get a Visa?
> Should I try Britian instead or Germany instead?

within Europe borders are open. you can travel from Italy to Germany
or France and every other country in Europe. I am quite sure you do
not need a visa if you are US-citizen.

Best wishes, & welcome to Europe,

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare

> I have been threatening to make my presence known on the other side of
> the pond for some time. The only thing that has stopped me is that I
> haven't bothered to get a passport. That is changing. I am attempting
> to figure out how I will do PGDay.IT/PGCon.EU and WEST (they happen
> within a week of each other).

Whoa. Dammit, now I have to clean the coffee off the table...

> So my question is, if I get a Visa to Italy? Am I stuck in Italy until
> I come back to the US? Or can I take a road trip up to France? If I am
> allowed to cross borders, is Italy the place to try and get a Visa?
> Should I try Britian instead or Germany instead?

No visa needed for the EU for americans, AFAIK. And even if it is, you
need a Schengen Visa which will allow you access throughout all the
Schengen countries (which is pretty much all the EU countries)

//Magnus

> > At this point, you don't, as a US citizen, need a visa to enter any
> > country in the EU.
>
> Just to be clear are you saying I *only* need my passport?

No, you will also need a ticket.

//Magnus

> > At this point, you don't, as a US citizen, need a visa to enter any
> > country in the EU.
>
> Just to be clear are you saying I *only* need my passport?
exactly. Read all the details at http://europa.eu/abc/travel/doc/index_en.htm

best wishes,

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare
EuroPython 2008 will take place in Vilnius, Lithuania - Stay tuned!

> > Just to be clear are you saying I *only* need my passport?
> No, you will also need a ticket.
>
> //Magnus

that is wrong, he can also swim, like others tried before.

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare

Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > > At this point, you don't, as a US citizen, need a visa to enter
> > > any country in the EU.
> >
> > Just to be clear are you saying I *only* need my passport?
>
> No, you will also need a ticket.

Just for that I am charging *you* for the first class ticket.

Joshua D. Drake

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 4:01 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > > At this point, you don't, as a US citizen, need a visa to enter any
> > > country in the EU.
> >
> > Just to be clear are you saying I *only* need my passport?
>
> No, you will also need a ticket.

Coffee hit the screen that time. Yuck.

:-)

--