Test lab

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Subject: Test lab
Date: 2007-11-02 17:42:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Subject: Re: Test lab
Date: 2007-11-02 19:20:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> My question is -hackers, is who wants first bite and what do they
> want :)

Something I'd like to have back real soon is the daily DBT run against
CVS HEAD that Mark Wong was doing at OSDL. Maybe we don't need a
particularly enormous machine for that, but comparable runs day after
day are real nice for noting when patches had unexpected performance
impacts...

regards, tom lane

> "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:
> > My question is -hackers, is who wants first bite and what do they
> > want :)
>
> Something I'd like to have back real soon is the daily DBT run against
> CVS HEAD that Mark Wong was doing at OSDL. Maybe we don't need a
> particularly enormous machine for that, but comparable runs day after
> day are real nice for noting when patches had unexpected performance
> impacts...

I expect the processors in this system to be faster than what I was using but this system does have about a third of the number of spindles I had previously. In my spare time I am trying to complete a TPC-E implementation (dbt5) to the current spec revision and it is supposed to have significantly less disk requirements than the TPC-C derivative (dbt2) I was using in the past. If we believe TPC-E achieved all its goals, I think it would be appropriate to start using that as soon as the kit is ready.

Anyway want to help with the kit? :) It's the C stored functions that need to be revised.

Regards,
Mark