Move cursor support for pl/pgsql

Lists: pgsql-patches
From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Move cursor support for pl/pgsql
Date: 2007-02-15 12:30:32
Lists: pgsql-patches

Hi!

I took a stab at implementing MOVE support for cursors in PL/pgsql,
because I wanted it for a project. Attached patch *seems* to work. But..
Given that this is my first venture into touching bison/flex files, I
may be completely off-target in how it's done.

Could somebody take a look at it and comment on if I'm completelyi off
or only slightly off?
(And if there are good arguments not to include MOVE support at all in
pl/pgsql, I'd still be interested in comments on the rest of it, in
order to learn..)

Thanks!

//Magnus

Attachment Content-Type Size
plpgsql_move.patch text/plain 12.0 KB

> I took a stab at implementing MOVE support for cursors in PL/pgsql,
> because I wanted it for a project. Attached patch *seems* to work. But..
> Given that this is my first venture into touching bison/flex files, I
> may be completely off-target in how it's done.

I disapprove of hard-wiring the fetch count as an integer constant;
there's no good reason not to treat it as an expression. So you should
drop the T_NUMBER thing.

regards, tom lane

>> I took a stab at implementing MOVE support for cursors in PL/pgsql,
>> because I wanted it for a project. Attached patch *seems* to work. But..
>> Given that this is my first venture into touching bison/flex files, I
>> may be completely off-target in how it's done.
>
> I disapprove of hard-wiring the fetch count as an integer constant;
> there's no good reason not to treat it as an expression. So you should
> drop the T_NUMBER thing.

Will do, thanks for commenting. I'm also going to merge it with Pavels
work that I had completely missed earlier.

//Magnus