Re: have you feel anything when you read this ?

Lists: pgsql-sql
From: "Bath, David" <dave(dot)bath(at)unix(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Lead and tail quotes with \pset fieldsep
Date: 2006-03-19 23:37:07
Lists: pgsql-sql

Folks

If I want psql to generate CSV files fully-double-quoted I can
use pset as follows
psql> \pset fieldsep ","
However this does not put a quote before the first field and
after the last, so each row comes out as
1234","blahblah","sdfgsg","foo","bar

Is there a way to use psql to give rows like
1234","blahblah","sdfgsg","foo","bar
or is there another tool I should use.

COPY doesn't deal with views and restrictions well so it is
not an option.

Thanks in advance
--
David T. Bath
dave(dot)bath(at)unix(dot)net

> If I want psql to generate CSV files fully-double-quoted I can
> use pset as follows
> psql> \pset fieldsep ","
> However this does not put a quote before the first field and
> after the last, so each row comes out as
> 1234","blahblah","sdfgsg","foo","bar
>
> Is there a way to use psql to give rows like
> 1234","blahblah","sdfgsg","foo","bar
> or is there another tool I should use.
>
> COPY doesn't deal with views and restrictions well so it is
> not an option.

Just do:

CREATE TEMP TABLE x AS SELECT * FROM view;
COPY ... x

Sorry that is the only way to dump CVS properly.

--
Bruce Momjian http://candle.pha.pa.us
SRA OSS, Inc. http://www.sraoss.com