generate_series to return row that doesn't exist in table...

Lists: pgsql-sql
From: MaXX <bs139412(at)skynet(dot)be>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: generate_series to return row that doesn't exist in table...
Date: 2006-03-24 20:30:56
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

I have a table wich contains aggregated data,
table stats_activity
logtime timestamptz,
count int

given this dataset
"2006-03-24 03:00:00+01";55
"2006-03-24 04:00:00+01";33
"2006-03-24 06:00:00+01";46
"2006-03-24 07:00:00+01";63
"2006-03-24 08:00:00+01";88

I want to get this in order to plot the data
"2006-03-24 03:00:00+01";55
"2006-03-24 04:00:00+01";33
>>"2006-03-24 05:00:00+01";0<<
"2006-03-24 06:00:00+01";46
"2006-03-24 07:00:00+01";63
"2006-03-24 08:00:00+01";88

I used generate_series to get all the timestamps I need but I don't know how
to write my query.

I've tried various combination of subselects, joins, union,... and I never
managed to get the result I wanted... I'm sure the solution is trivial but I
don't get it...
I prefer to generate missing rows "on the fly" intead of actually storing
useless data on the table.

Thanks for your help,
--
MaXX

On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 14:30, MaXX wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a table wich contains aggregated data,
> table stats_activity
> logtime timestamptz,
> count int
>
> given this dataset
> "2006-03-24 03:00:00+01";55
> "2006-03-24 04:00:00+01";33
> "2006-03-24 06:00:00+01";46
> "2006-03-24 07:00:00+01";63
> "2006-03-24 08:00:00+01";88
>
> I want to get this in order to plot the data
> "2006-03-24 03:00:00+01";55
> "2006-03-24 04:00:00+01";33
> >>"2006-03-24 05:00:00+01";0<<
> "2006-03-24 06:00:00+01";46
> "2006-03-24 07:00:00+01";63
> "2006-03-24 08:00:00+01";88
>
> I used generate_series to get all the timestamps I need but I don't know how
> to write my query.
>

> I've tried various combination of subselects, joins, union,... and I never
> managed to get the result I wanted... I'm sure the solution is trivial but I
> don't get it...
> I prefer to generate missing rows "on the fly" intead of actually storing
> useless data on the table.

More than likely you need a left join and a case statement.

select <selectlist>, case when a.date is null then 0 else a.date end
from (select * from generate_series() -- magic to get dates goes here)
as p left join maintable as a on (p.date=a.date);

There may be some small syntax error in there, as I've not tested it.
The relavent pages are:

case:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/functions-conditional.html

joins:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/queries-table-expressions.html

On Friday 24 March 2006 21:42, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> More than likely you need a left join and a case statement.
>
> select <selectlist>, case when a.date is null then 0 else a.date end
> from (select * from generate_series() -- magic to get dates goes here)
> as p left join maintable as a on (p.date=a.date);
>
> There may be some small syntax error in there, as I've not tested it.
> The relavent pages are:
>
> case:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/functions-conditional.html
>
> joins: