Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date: 2004-05-19 16:43:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

People,

> >So, why tie it into the PostgreSQL source tree? Won't it be popular
> >enough to live on its own, that it has to be distributed as part of the
> >core?

Personally, I find it rather inconsistent to have any PL, other than PL/pgSQL,
as part of the core distribution -- when we are pushing the interfaces, such
as JDBC and libpqxx to seperate modules in pgFoundry. Either we're trying
to lighten up the core, or we're not. But right now there seems to be no
logic in operation.

I do think, though, that we need some system to build RPMs for all the
pgFoundry stuff ...

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

>>>So, why tie it into the PostgreSQL source tree? Won't it be popular
>>>enough to live on its own, that it has to be distributed as part of the
>>>core?
>>>

>Personally, I find it rather inconsistent to have any PL, other than PL/pgSQL,
>as part of the core distribution -- when we are pushing the interfaces, such
>as JDBC and libpqxx to seperate modules in pgFoundry. Either we're trying
>to lighten up the core, or we're not. But right now there seems to be no
>logic in operation.
>
>I do think, though, that we need some system to build RPMs for all the
>pgFoundry stuff ...

Server-side PLs might have quite different requirements from Client
Interfaces. I don't think you can simply extrapolate in this way.

Personally, I hate the idea of having to write stuff like this example
Joe Conway gave the other day from PL/R:

#if (CATALOG_VERSION_NO <= 200211021)
#define PG_VERSION_73_COMPAT
#elif (CATALOG_VERSION_NO <= 200310211)
#define PG_VERSION_74_COMPAT
#else
#define PG_VERSION_75_COMPAT
#endif

and all the consequent mess.

Yuck.

Frankly, although I am a relative newcomer around here, I am not
convinced that "lightening the core" has been a great success, or can be
made to be so. Certainly Peter's comments on the history to date suggest
that a re-evaluation might be in order.

cheers

andrew

> Frankly, although I am a relative newcomer around here, I am not
> convinced that "lightening the core" has been a great success, or can be
> made to be so. Certainly Peter's comments on the history to date suggest
> that a re-evaluation might be in order.

Moving stuff out makes their release schedules and community involvement
independent, but from a code activity and ease-of-use perspective, it
has been a general failure, with only a few successes.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

>>>So, why tie it into the PostgreSQL source tree? Won't it be popular
>>>enough to live on its own, that it has to be distributed as part of the
>>>core?
>

> Personally, I find it rather inconsistent to have any PL, other than PL/pgSQL,
> as part of the core distribution -- when we are pushing the interfaces, such
> as JDBC and libpqxx to seperate modules in pgFoundry. Either we're trying
> to lighten up the core, or we're not. But right now there seems to be no
> logic in operation.
>
> I do think, though, that we need some system to build RPMs for all the
> pgFoundry stuff ...

As far as this discussion is concerned I personally think that there is
just one way to satisfy everybody.
I we had a "PostgreSQL most wanted" distribution including PL/* as well
as some other modules we could save people compiling PostgreSQL from
source a lot of work.
The core itself would be cleaner (which is the target of moving things
out) and everybody would be happy?
If people think this is a good idea I could compile and maintain this
(source) distribution ...

Best regards,

Hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig
Schoengrabern 134, A-2020 Hollabrunn, Austria

> > >So, why tie it into the PostgreSQL source tree? Won't it be popular
> > >enough to live on its own, that it has to be distributed as part of the
> > >core?
>
> Personally, I find it rather inconsistent to have any PL, other than
> PL/pgSQL, as part of the core distribution -- when we are pushing the
> interfaces, such as JDBC and libpqxx to seperate modules in pgFoundry.

Actually, JDBC, libpqxx, ODBC, plPHP, plPerlNG are all really easy to push
over to pgFoundry ... they have very active, and visible, developers
responsible for them ... is anyone out there directing work on pl/pgsql or
pl/TCL? If so, they are easy to move also ...

> Either we're trying to lighten up the core, or we're not. But right now
> there seems to be no logic in operation.

Its easier to *not add* something to core (ie. plPHP/plPerlNG) then it is
to remove something (see JDBC) ...

----

On Wed, 19 May 2004, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Personally, I hate the idea of having to write stuff like this example
> Joe Conway gave the other day from PL/R:
>
> #if (CATALOG_VERSION_NO <= 200211021)
> #define PG_VERSION_73_COMPAT
> #elif (CATALOG_VERSION_NO <= 200310211)
> #define PG_VERSION_74_COMPAT
> #else
> #define PG_VERSION_75_COMPAT
> #endif

Why not have seperate branches in CVS for each version? Branch on similar
dates to the core distribution itself?

----