Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date: 2004-05-19 16:55:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom,

> The main downside of testing a snapshot, as I see it, is that the
> snapshot is virtually certain not to be initdb-compatible with either
> the previous release or the upcoming one. Mini-releases would have
> that problem too, and so I don't really see what they add in terms of
> testability.

The main purpose of mini-releases would be to make testing more accessable to
newbies who find anon-CVS intimidating.

However, there's no point in worrying about lowering the barriers of entry
unless we have a program and a coordinator to make some kind of real use of
these newbies' feedback.

Anybody wanna volunteer to be 7.5 testing coordinator?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

> The main purpose of mini-releases would be to make testing more
> accessable to newbies who find anon-CVS intimidating.

Who said anything about anon-CVS? There are the nightly snapshots
for those who want a tarball.

regards, tom lane