Re: IpcSemaphoreCreate - detailed account

Lists: pgsql-cygwin
From: Gregory D Dennis <gdennis(at)MIT(dot)EDU>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: IpcSemaphoreCreate - detailed account
Date: 2003-02-08 13:01:03
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

I am still receiving an 'IpcSemaphoreCreate' error when I try to
initialize the database as the 'postgres' user. I installed cygipc-1.13
successfully as a service and I can initialize the db fine under my own
username and run postmaster as a non-service. But I'd like to get the
service installation working. I am running on Windows XP. Here's a
detailed log of my attempts to follow the provided installation
instructions:

-------------------------
The given command

ipc-daemon --install-as-service

did not work so i used instead

cygrunsrv --install ipc-daemon --desc "CygWin IPC Daemon" --path
/usr/local/bin/ipc-daemon --termsig INT --shutdown

i then started the ipc daemon

net start ipc-daemon

and i can verify from the services window that it is in fact running.
I created the postgres user with

net user postgres <password> /add /fullname:postgres
/comment:'PostgreSQL user account' /homedir:"$(cygpath -w
/home/postgres)"

Where <password> was my chosen password and followed that with

mkpasswd -l -u postgres >>/etc/passwd

I granted the "postgres" user the "Log on as a service" user right:

cmd /c secpol.msc

This command opened the "Local Security Settings" Window. I clicked
"Local Policies"->"User Rights Assignment"-->"Log on as a service".
Clicked to add a user or group. Enter the name "postgres" and then the
"Check Names" button. This replaced the 'postgres' name with
'<ComputerName>/postgres'. I clicked OK and closed the "Local Security
Settings" window.

I installed postmaster as a service:

cygrunsrv --install postmaster --desc "PostgreSQL Database Server"
--path /usr/bin/postmaster --args "-D /usr/share/postgresql/data -i"
--dep ipc-daemon --termsig INT --user postgres --shutdown --stdout
/pgsql.log --stderr /pgsql.err

I then clicked "Start"->"Log Off"->"Switch User"->"postgres". Opened
up a cygwin shell and created the data directory

mkdir /usr/share/postgresql/data

and ensured the postgres user owned that directory

chown postgres /usr/share/postgresql/data

still logged on as 'postgres', i tried to initialize the database

initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data

and i received the following error:

The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

Fixing permissions on existing directory
/usr/share/postgresql/data... ok
creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/base... ok
creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/global... ok
creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /usr/share/postgresql/data/pg_clog... ok
creating template1 database in /usr/share/postgresql/data/base/1...
IpcSemaphoreCreate: semget(key=1, num=17, 03600) failed: Function not
implemented

initdb failed.
-------------------------

Any help?

Thanks, Greg

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 08:01:03AM -0500, Gregory D Dennis wrote:
> I am running on Windows XP.

Home or Pro.

> The given command
>
> ipc-daemon --install-as-service
>
> did not work so i used instead

The above is bad. Please report this to the Cygwin list.

> cygrunsrv --install ipc-daemon --desc "CygWin IPC Daemon" --path
> /usr/local/bin/ipc-daemon --termsig INT --shutdown
>
> i then started the ipc daemon
>
> net start ipc-daemon
>
> and i can verify from the services window that it is in fact running.
> I created the postgres user with

Does ipctest work? Especially, from the postgres account? If not, then
PostgreSQL will not work too.

> still logged on as 'postgres', i tried to initialize the database
>
> initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data
>
> and i received the following error:
>
> [snip]
>
> IpcSemaphoreCreate: semget(key=1, num=17, 03600) failed: Function not
> implemented
>
> initdb failed.

What is the output of the following command:

$ ls -ld /tmp /tmp/cygipc_? /tmp/MultiFile*
drwxrwxrwx+ 101 Administ None 188416 Feb 10 08:56 /tmp
-rw-rw-rw- 1 SYSTEM SYSTEM 3916520 Jan 17 11:19 /tmp/MultiFileMsg
-rw-rw-rw- 1 SYSTEM SYSTEM 22032 Jan 17 11:19 /tmp/MultiFileSem
-rw-rw-rw- 1 SYSTEM SYSTEM 202768 Jan 17 11:19 /tmp/MultiFileShm
-rw------- 1 postgres None 1441792 Jan 13 16:30 /tmp/cygipc_0

Jason

Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D 8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6