Re: Initdb fails... Again!

From: Dan Holmsand <dan(at)eyebee(dot)com>
To: Jason Tishler <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Initdb fails... Again!
Date: 2003-01-24 16:51:09
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Jason,

Jason Tishler wrote:
> Your problem may be not quite the same as Markko's, because the
> permissions of his /tmp/MultiFile* files were "-rw-rw-rw-".

Sorry, I didn't know that (I just saw that your permissions were set
that way - that's what made me think of the difference).

> What is the permissions of /tmp?
>
> $ ls -ld /tmp
> drwxrwxrwx+ 111 Administ Domain U 221184 Jan 24 06:49 /tmp
>
> If they are not 777, then execute:
>
> $ chmod 777 /tmp
> $ rm -f /tmp/MultiFile*
>
> and restart ipc-daemon as a service.
>
> Are the permissions of /tmp/MultiFile* writable by all now?

I think I've found the problem. Yes, /tmp is 777, but I had run
ipc-daemon with a umask of 022 (the default in cygwin these days).
Apparently, ipc-daemon doesn't set umask itself, so the MultiFiles
become -rw-r--r--.

Rerunning ipc-daemon as a service (installed with ipc-daemon
--install-as-service) fixes this (umask seems to be 000 in this case),
but only if you've deleted the MultiFiles first.

So, as soon as ipc-daemon has been run with a non-000 umask by a user
that is not "postgres" (e.g. manually or from a sysv start script
(currently my favourite way of running ipc-daemon and postgres)),
postgres fails to start, even after restarting ipc-daemon as a service.

/dan