JDBC split and move ...

Lists: pgsql-jdbc
From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: ryan(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: JDBC split and move ...
Date: 2002-02-10 20:40:17
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hey all ...

Hopefully that subject caught all of your attentions :)

Over the past few days, -core has spent time discussion issues
concerning GPL vs BSD in our distribution, which led into a discussion on
how "bloated" our distribution has gotten over the years ...

The end result of all of these discussions is that there are
*several* pieces to our distribution that don't need to be *in* the
distribution, and several of *those* that would actually benefit from
being moved out ... and since we now have GBorg (thanks to GreatBridge for
developing it, and Chris Ryan for getting it up and running, as well as
maintaining it), we also have the means to do this while keeping
everything *centralized* ...

Since we have to start somewhere, and since JDBC appears to be
pretty much the most active, we're proposing to start with this one ...

After talking to Chris about how to go about doing the transition,
the plan is to build a Gborg project for it, make sure that Barry Lind
(god, I hope I got my names right here *grin*) has maintainership of the
project in Gborg, and then take and move the jdbc code from the pgsql
CVSROOT and move it into the project CVSROOT, where develoment of the JDBC
driver will continue ...

The main benefit in our eyes to this is that projects that are not
necessarily *tied* to the backend can now maintain their own release cycle
without having to wait for the backend to be ready to go ... if we go
another 8mos with v7.3, there is nothing stop'ng Barry from putting out a
new *official* release of JDBC as its warranted ...

Finally, for those used to ./configure --with-jdbc, well put a
'note' in configure that points ppl at the GBorg project itself, so that
ppl aren't left wondering where it went ...

What we would like to do is move forward on this as soon as v7.2
is branched, which looks like it should be RSN, and once JDBC has been
successfully moved, we'll look at move other sub-projects, like ODBC, onto
GBorg as well ...

Can anyone think of a reason that we haven't been able to think of
where the JDBC driver *has* to be tied to the base distribution itself?
That it can't be downloaded/installed seperately? "it requires libpq"
doesn't count, we're more looking at a requirement for the physical pgsql
server source code, not the libraries that will get installed ...

> The end result of all of these discussions is that there are
> *several* pieces to our distribution that don't need to be *in* the
> distribution, and several of *those* that would actually benefit from
> being moved out ...

Agreed.

> After talking to Chris about how to go about doing the transition,
> the plan is to build a Gborg project for it, make sure that Barry Lind
> (god, I hope I got my names right here *grin*) has maintainership of the
> project in Gborg, and then take and move the jdbc code from the pgsql
> CVSROOT and move it into the project CVSROOT, where develoment of the JDBC
> driver will continue ...

The only thing I want to fiercely protest about this is the Gborg thing.
The JDBC driver project already has its web site (jdbc.postgresql.org) and
its mailing list, so I don't see why gborg needs to come into the picture
at all. Simply put the CVS root on cvs.postgresql.org, so people that are
used to checking out the pgsql module can simply replace that with the
name of the JDBC driver module.

Quite honestly, I seriously dislike web-based software development
infrastructures like sourceforge or gborg. The group has repeatedly
spoken out against web-based bug tracking, web-based feature requesting,
web-based patch submissions. And let me use this occasion to speak out
against having to sign up to some web site before you can join
development.

Furthermore, considering that everyone that comes along can open his own
gborg project, things will simply get lost in there. "Official" stuff
should get more prominent treatment.

Just to make sure: You're not going to put the backend code into a gborg
project, are you?

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier writes:
>
> > The end result of all of these discussions is that there are
> > *several* pieces to our distribution that don't need to be *in* the
> > distribution, and several of *those* that would actually benefit from
> > being moved out ...
>
> Agreed.
>
> > After talking to Chris about how to go about doing the transition,
> > the plan is to build a Gborg project for it, make sure that Barry Lind
> > (god, I hope I got my names right here *grin*) has maintainership of the
> > project in Gborg, and then take and move the jdbc code from the pgsql
> > CVSROOT and move it into the project CVSROOT, where develoment of the JDBC
> > driver will continue ...
>
> The only thing I want to fiercely protest about this is the Gborg thing.
> The JDBC driver project already has its web site (jdbc.postgresql.org) and
> its mailing list, so I don't see why gborg needs to come into the picture
> at all. Simply put the CVS root on cvs.postgresql.org, so people that are
> used to checking out the pgsql module can simply replace that with the
> name of the JDBC driver module.

actually, we won't be getting rid of jdbc.postgresql.org, or odbc.* or
pgadmin.* ... what I've more looking at/for is the easy collaborrative
environment that the web-based frontend on gborg will/does provide ...
Barry decides he needs help, recruits something *he* trusts and adds him
in without having to go through anyone else ...

also, and Chris can correct me on this if I'm wrong, but I believe that
those that are "the developers" have the ability to do remote CVS for
their work anyway, don't they?

> Furthermore, considering that everyone that comes along can open his own
> gborg project, things will simply get lost in there. "Official" stuff
> should get more prominent treatment.

Actually, I can't really see this happening (the getting lost, aspect) ...
the only projects that tend to get 'lost' are those that are pretty much
dead anyway ... same with sourceforge, your 'busy projects' are more often
on the front page ... its the deead ones that you never see ...

> Just to make sure: You're not going to put the backend code into a gborg
> project, are you?

Damn, ya know, until you mentioned it, we hadn't considered it, but since
you did bring it up, we'll discuss and let you know *evil grin* ... but I
think five words come to mind ... "Not a hope in hell" :)