Re: Foreign keys for non-default datatypes

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Cc: CG <cgg007(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Subject: Foreign keys for non-default datatypes
Date: 2006-02-23 18:10:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I looked into the problem reported here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2006-02/msg00261.php
To wit, a pg_restore of a foreign key constraint involving user-defined
types produces

pg_restore: WARNING: foreign key constraint "luuid_fkey" will require costly sequential scans
DETAIL: Key columns "luuid" and "luuid" are of different types: public.uniqueidentifier and public.uniqueidentifier.

A small variation of the example (I tried it with the contrib isbn type
instead, just to see if it was uniqueidentifier's fault) produces
complete failure:

isbn=# ALTER TABLE ONLY beta ADD CONSTRAINT beta_luuid_fkey FOREIGN KEY (luuid) REFERENCES alpha(luuid);
ERROR: foreign key constraint "beta_luuid_fkey" cannot be implemented
DETAIL: Key columns "luuid" and "luuid" are of incompatible types: public.isbn and public.isbn.

The problem is that pg_dump likes to set a restrictive search path:
the above follows
isbn# SET search_path = delta, pg_catalog;
while the data type and its operators all are defined in the public
schema. So when ATAddForeignKeyConstraint checks to see if there's a
suitable "=" operator, it doesn't find the intended operator. In the
isbn case it doesn't find anything at all; in the uniqueidentifier case
there's an implicit cast to text and so the texteq operator is found,
but it's not a member of the index's opclass and thus the warning
appears.

Even if ATAddForeignKeyConstraint weren't trying to be helpful by
checking the operator, we'd be facing the exact same risks at runtime
--- the RI triggers blithely assume that "foo = bar" will do the right
thing.

This has been a hazard in the RI code since day one, of course, but
I think it's time to face up to it and do something about it. The
RI code ought not be assuming that "=" will find an appropriate
operator --- it should be doing something based on semantics, not a
pure name search, and definitely not a search-path-dependent search.

This ties into Stephan's nearby concerns about whether unique indexes
using nondefault opclasses make sense as infrastructure for foreign
key checks. The answer of course is that they make sense if and only
if the "=" operator used for the RI check is a member of the index
opclass.

Any thoughts about details? My feeling is that we should tie RI
semantics to btree opclasses, same as we have done for ORDER BY
and some other SQL constructs, but I don't have a concrete proposal
right offhand. The btree idea may not cover cross-type FKs anyway.

regards, tom lane

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 01:10:07PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> I looked into the problem reported here:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2006-02/msg00261.php

<snip>

> This has been a hazard in the RI code since day one, of course, but
> I think it's time to face up to it and do something about it. The
> RI code ought not be assuming that "=" will find an appropriate
> operator --- it should be doing something based on semantics, not a
> pure name search, and definitely not a search-path-dependent search.

<snip>

> Any thoughts about details? My feeling is that we should tie RI
> semantics to btree opclasses, same as we have done for ORDER BY
> and some other SQL constructs, but I don't have a concrete proposal
> right offhand. The btree idea may not cover cross-type FKs anyway.

Well, one solution is to simply use the '=' operator of the default
btree operator class. In all the cases we're talking about here they
have a btree operator class so this isn't an issue and (I think) gives
the behaviour people expect.

However, really they require less because we only care about equality,
not order, so a btree operator class is overkill. The case I'm thinking
of is "complex" which has equality but no order. Although people are
unlikely to do foreign keys on them, there are probably other types
where people might consider it.

Your point about cross-type foreign keys is good, but I think it could
be dealt with by explanding our use of cross-type operator classes,
like we've done for int2/4/8. For example, I was surprised the other
day by the fact that we didn't have cross-type operator classes for
text/varchar/char. If you want to do cross-type foreign keys, would it
be unreasonable to require a cross-type operator class to match?

This could all tie in with my collate stuff by requiring people to
declare the semantics of the type (equality, order, hash, etc) and
building the operator classes and such automatically from that. Some
types really only have equality but no order so you could have foreign
keys but couldn't create a btree index. But you could create a hash
index if a hash function was defined. The COLLATE clause gives people a
simple way to supplying the semantics they want from a given type,
which may deal with Stephan's concerns.

The cross-type stuff for collations is an issue, although I was
thinking about tackling it with cross-type equality, order and hash
functions, which pretty much amounts to what we need for cross-type
operator classes now.

But I think people are getting tired of me going on about collate and I
should just go implement it :)

Hope this helps,

> I looked into the problem reported here:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2006-02/msg00261.php
> To wit, a pg_restore of a foreign key constraint involving user-defined
> types produces
>
> pg_restore: WARNING: foreign key constraint "luuid_fkey" will require costly sequential scans
> DETAIL: Key columns "luuid" and "luuid" are of different types: public.uniqueidentifier and public.uniqueidentifier.
>
> A small variation of the example (I tried it with the contrib isbn type
> instead, just to see if it was uniqueidentifier's fault) produces
> complete failure:
>
> isbn=# ALTER TABLE ONLY beta ADD CONSTRAINT beta_luuid_fkey FOREIGN KEY (luuid) REFERENCES alpha(luuid);
> ERROR: foreign key constraint "beta_luuid_fkey" cannot be implemented
> DETAIL: Key columns "luuid" and "luuid" are of incompatible types: public.isbn and public.isbn.
>
> The problem is that pg_dump likes to set a restrictive search path:
> the above follows
> isbn# SET search_path = delta, pg_catalog;
> while the data type and its operators all are defined in the public
> schema. So when ATAddForeignKeyConstraint checks to see if there's a
> suitable "=" operator, it doesn't find the intended operator. In the
> isbn case it doesn't find anything at all; in the uniqueidentifier case
> there's an implicit cast to text and so the texteq operator is found,
> but it's not a member of the index's opclass and thus the warning
> appears.
>
> Even if ATAddForeignKeyConstraint weren't trying to be helpful by
> checking the operator, we'd be facing the exact same risks at runtime
> --- the RI triggers blithely assume that "foo = bar" will do the right
> thing.
>
> This has been a hazard in the RI code since day one, of course, but
> I think it's time to face up to it and do something about it. The
> RI code ought not be assuming that "=" will find an appropriate
> operator --- it should be doing something based on semantics, not a
> pure name search, and definitely not a search-path-dependent search.
>
> This ties into Stephan's nearby concerns about whether unique indexes
> using nondefault opclasses make sense as infrastructure for foreign
> key checks. The answer of course is that they make sense if and only
> if the "=" operator used for the RI check is a member of the index
> opclass.

Right, when I'd said "or we allow you to specify a different equality
operator for that case which matches the one in the opclass" I sort of was
thinking that direction, although I was considering either matching the
index one or allowing you to specify the operator if we went that way.
Those still bug me a little (especially matching the index one) because
writing out the constraint's check by hand by looking at the spec would
give different results.

> Any thoughts about details? My feeling is that we should tie RI
> semantics to btree opclasses, same as we have done for ORDER BY
> and some other SQL constructs, but I don't have a concrete proposal
> right offhand. The btree idea may not cover cross-type FKs anyway.

ISTM that the btree opclass is too restrictive right now since I'm
guessing we'd want to allow say int4 <-> numeric which I don't think is in
either btree opclass, but I don't know if they're not there because it
wasn't worth putting in or if there's a more fundamental reason.

> Any thoughts about details? My feeling is that we should tie RI
> semantics to btree opclasses, same as we have done for ORDER BY
> and some other SQL constructs, but I don't have a concrete proposal
> right offhand. The btree idea may not cover cross-type FKs anyway.

This means getting rid of SPI usage, right?