Re: Table Spaces

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Table Spaces
Date: 2004-05-18 14:49:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> >> Well, people can still use it. We just can't distribute
> it... We can
> >> always link to it.
> >> But unless there is a GUI tool (actually, unless it shows up in the
> >> *default* GUI tool), expect there to be questions. An
> >
> > I assume we can just look at the source and write our own version
> > bypassing any license.
>
> I wouldn't be so sure about that. If this insane SCO crap has
> taught me anything, the PostgreSQL should have a defined and
> legally vetted process for duplicating functionality. ala'
> phoenix BIOS.

There is more than enough information om MSDN and other sites to make
this kind of tool without looking at the source. It's generic enough.

//Magnus

From: pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com
To: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2004-05-18 16:44:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> it... We can
>> >
>> > I assume we can just look at the source and write our own version
>> > bypassing any license.
>>
>> I wouldn't be so sure about that. If this insane SCO crap has
>> taught me anything, the PostgreSQL should have a defined and
>> legally vetted process for duplicating functionality. ala'
>> phoenix BIOS.
>
> There is more than enough information om MSDN and other sites to make
> this kind of tool without looking at the source. It's generic enough.

Let's just make sure we keep records of the generic sources of where we
find things. I get *really* scared when I see sentences like "I assume we
can just look at the source and write our own version bypassing any
license." That is categorically a false asumption and will create an
arguably derived product. The last thing we want is Oracle or Microsoft
trying to pull an SCO on Postgresql.

> >> it... We can

> >> I wouldn't be so sure about that. If this insane SCO crap has
> >> taught me anything, the PostgreSQL should have a defined and
> >> legally vetted process for duplicating functionality. ala'
> >> phoenix BIOS.
> >
> > There is more than enough information om MSDN and other sites to make
> > this kind of tool without looking at the source. It's generic enough.
>
> Let's just make sure we keep records of the generic sources of where we
> find things. I get *really* scared when I see sentences like "I assume we
> can just look at the source and write our own version bypassing any
> license." That is categorically a false asumption and will create an
> arguably derived product. The last thing we want is Oracle or Microsoft
> trying to pull an SCO on Postgresql.

Usually we look at the source, find out how they do it, then find the
docs for the underlying functions, and use that.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

> >> Let's just make sure we keep records of the generic sources of where we
> >> find things. I get *really* scared when I see sentences like "I assume
> >> we
> >> can just look at the source and write our own version bypassing any
> >> license." That is categorically a false asumption and will create an
> >> arguably derived product. The last thing we want is Oracle or Microsoft
> >> trying to pull an SCO on Postgresql.
> >
> > Usually we look at the source, find out how they do it, then find the
> > docs for the underlying functions, and use that.
>
> This makes me worried. That's the way we *used* to do things, but the
> sleazy IP lawyers are looking for anything with which they can create the
> impression of impropriety. The open source and free projects are ground
> zero for this crap.
>
> We *really* need to be careful.

I assumed this tool was GPL and we just needed to avoid the GPL issue.