Re: Table Spaces

From: pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com
To: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Postgresql Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Table Spaces
Date: 2004-05-20 02:58:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>>You may not distribute this tool without the express written
>>>permission of Mark Russinovich.
>>

>> Then by no means should *any* of that code be included into PostgreSQL.
>> In
>> fact, comments should not even make reference to it.
>
> May I point out that there is a heap of debate about whether or not we
> can use a windows API call legally (yes we can), and a big lump of
> not-testing-tablespaces patch going on :)

You can use Windows API calls on Windows just fine. Any debate about that
would be focused on running PostgreSQL (compiled for Windows) under wine,
on some other platform, and that would be focused on the Wine project.

More to the point. If you designed a feature of PostgreSQL for Windows,
and kept the Windows API call and syntax, but coded it for Linux and BSD
using the Windows API, then you may be violating copyright.