Re: getting rid of maintainer-check

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: getting rid of maintainer-check
Date: 2013-09-04 02:41:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The maintainer-check target never really caught on, I think. Most
people don't run it, and that in turn annoys those who do. Also, it
doesn't provide much functionality.

I propose that we get rid of it and roll the functionality into the
regular build.

Specifically:

- Running duplicate_oids during the regular build was already discussed
elsewhere recently. There are some details to be resolved there, but
it's doable.

- Checking for tabs in SGML files can be run during the regular
documentation build without problems.

- The NLS checks can also be run during the regular NLS-enabled build.

That's it. Any concerns?

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 10:41 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> The maintainer-check target never really caught on, I think. Most
> people don't run it, and that in turn annoys those who do. Also, it
> doesn't provide much functionality.
>
> I propose that we get rid of it and roll the functionality into the
> regular build.
>
> Specifically:
>
> - Running duplicate_oids during the regular build was already discussed
> elsewhere recently. There are some details to be resolved there, but
> it's doable.
>
> - Checking for tabs in SGML files can be run during the regular
> documentation build without problems.
>
> - The NLS checks can also be run during the regular NLS-enabled build.
>
> That's it. Any concerns?

I can't speak for anyone else, but personally I think that sounds like
a significant improvement.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

On 2013-09-03 22:41:17 -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> The maintainer-check target never really caught on, I think. Most
> people don't run it, and that in turn annoys those who do. Also, it
> doesn't provide much functionality.
>
> I propose that we get rid of it and roll the functionality into the
> regular build.
>
> Specifically:
>
> - Running duplicate_oids during the regular build was already discussed
> elsewhere recently. There are some details to be resolved there, but
> it's doable.

Maybe we should also badger cpluspluscheck into a state where it can be
run as part of a normal build if a c++ compiler was detected?

I think it misses vpath support and it might be dependant on some
bashims.

Greetings,

Andres Freund