Re: ALTER TABLE SET STATISTICS requires AccessExclusiveLock

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ALTER TABLE SET STATISTICS requires AccessExclusiveLock
Date: 2009-08-07 13:58:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Is there a good reason for $subject, other than that the code is entangled
with other ALTER TABLE code?

The new SET DISTINCT might be equally affected.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2009-08-07 14:10:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Is there a good reason for $subject, other than that the code is entangled
> with other ALTER TABLE code?

I think it could be lower, but it would take nontrivial restructuring of
the ALTER TABLE support. In particular, consider what happens when you
have a list of subcommands that don't all require the same lock level.
I think you'd need to scan the list and find the highest required lock
level before starting ...

regards, tom lane

> > Is there a good reason for $subject, other than that the code is entangled
> > with other ALTER TABLE code?
>
> I think it could be lower, but it would take nontrivial restructuring of
> the ALTER TABLE support. In particular, consider what happens when you
> have a list of subcommands that don't all require the same lock level.
> I think you'd need to scan the list and find the highest required lock
> level before starting ...

IIRC there was a patch from Simon to address this issue, but it had some
holes which he didn't have time to close, so it sank. Maybe this can be
resurrected and fixed.

On Fri, 2009-08-07 at 15:58 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> writes:
> > > Is there a good reason for $subject, other than that the code is entangled
> > > with other ALTER TABLE code?
> >
> > I think it could be lower, but it would take nontrivial restructuring of
> > the ALTER TABLE support. In particular, consider what happens when you
> > have a list of subcommands that don't all require the same lock level.
> > I think you'd need to scan the list and find the highest required lock
> > level before starting ...
>
> IIRC there was a patch from Simon to address this issue, but it had some
> holes which he didn't have time to close, so it sank. Maybe this can be
> resurrected and fixed.

I was intending to finish that patch in this release cycle.

MERGE needs further work if you are looking for a project. It isn't
immediately obvious but MERGE logic is a requirement for maintaining
materialized views, which is why I was working on that.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com

> On Fri, 2009-08-07 at 15:58 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> > >
> > > I think it could be lower, but it would take nontrivial restructuring of
> > > the ALTER TABLE support. In particular, consider what happens when you
> > > have a list of subcommands that don't all require the same lock level.
> > > I think you'd need to scan the list and find the highest required lock
> > > level before starting ...
> >
> > IIRC there was a patch from Simon to address this issue, but it had some
> > holes which he didn't have time to close, so it sank. Maybe this can be
> > resurrected and fixed.
>
> I was intending to finish that patch in this release cycle.

Since you're busy with Hot Standby, any chance you could pass it on?

On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 12:56 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:

> > > IIRC there was a patch from Simon to address this issue, but it had some
> > > holes which he didn't have time to close, so it sank. Maybe this can be
> > > resurrected and fixed.
> >
> > I was intending to finish that patch in this release cycle.
>
> Since you're busy with Hot Standby, any chance you could pass it on?

If you'd like. It's mostly finished, just one last thing to finish:
atomic changes to pg_class via an already agreed API.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com

> On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 12:56 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Simon Riggs wrote:

> > > I was intending to finish that patch in this release cycle.
> >
> > Since you're busy with Hot Standby, any chance you could pass it on?
>
> If you'd like. It's mostly finished, just one last thing to finish:
> atomic changes to pg_class via an already agreed API.

I assume this did not get done for 9.0. Do we want a TODO item?

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com
PG East: http://www.enterprisedb.com/community/nav-pg-east-2010.do

On mån, 2010-02-22 at 10:32 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:

> > > Since you're busy with Hot Standby, any chance you could pass it on?
> >
> > If you'd like. It's mostly finished, just one last thing to finish:
> > atomic changes to pg_class via an already agreed API.
>
> I assume this did not get done for 9.0. Do we want a TODO item?

Yes.

> On m?n, 2010-02-22 at 10:32 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Simon Riggs wrote:

> > > If you'd like. It's mostly finished, just one last thing to finish:
> > > atomic changes to pg_class via an already agreed API.
> >
> > I assume this did not get done for 9.0. Do we want a TODO item?
>
> Yes.

Added:

Reduce locking required for ALTER commands

* http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-08/msg00533.php
* http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-10/msg01083.php
* http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-01/msg02349.php

2010/3/3 Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>> > I assume this did not get done for 9.0.  Do we want a TODO item?
>>
>> Yes.
>
> Added:
>
>        Reduce locking required for ALTER commands

I just faced production issue where it is impossible to alter table to
adjust autovacuum settings in a pg8.4. (5K tps, 260M rows table, lock
too much)

Can we add some mechanism to prevent that situation also in the TODO item ?

(alternative is actualy to alter other tables and adjust the
postgresql.conf for biggest tables, but not an ideal solution anyway)

>            * http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-08/msg00533.php
>            * http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-10/msg01083.php
>            * http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-01/msg02349.php
>
> --