Re: ALTER TABLE SET STATISTICS requires AccessExclusiveLock

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ALTER TABLE SET STATISTICS requires AccessExclusiveLock
Date: 2010-07-17 07:55:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2010-07-16 at 23:03 +0200, Andres Freund wrote:

> Sure its not that bad, but at least it needs to get documented imho.
> Likely others should chime in here ;-)

Don't understand you. This is a clear bug in join removal, test case
attached, a minor rework of your original test case.

> What could the join removal path (and similar places) *possibly* do
> against such a case? Without stopping to use SnapshotNow I dont see
> any way :-(

The bug is caused by allowing join removal to work in serializable
transactions. The fix for 9.0 is easy and clear: disallow join removal
when planning a query as the second or subsequent query in a
serializable transaction.

A wider fix might be worth doing for 9.1, not sure.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com

join_removal_serializable_bug.testcase text/plain 466 bytes