Re: Concurrency testing

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Concurrency testing
Date: 2009-10-08 00:06:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 7 Oct 2009, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> I don't find this a compelling argument against concurrent psql. Sure
> there are things you can't do with it, but it doesn't mean it's not
> useful. Are we going to need further tools to find "the good concurrent
> bugs"? No doubt.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't arguing against concurrent psql being useful.
Certainly it is. I was just suggesting that the scale of issues it can be
useful for is still pretty limited, and that accordingly I found my time
better spent working on a higher-level solution that didn't need C-psql
anyway. Whether C-psql is sufficient for what David had in mind I can't
say.