Re: Concurrency testing

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Concurrency testing
Date: 2009-10-08 00:15:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 08:06:50PM -0400, Greg Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Oct 2009, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
>> I don't find this a compelling argument against concurrent psql.
>> Sure there are things you can't do with it, but it doesn't mean
>> it's not useful. Are we going to need further tools to find "the
>> good concurrent bugs"? No doubt.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I wasn't arguing against concurrent psql being
> useful. Certainly it is. I was just suggesting that the scale of
> issues it can be useful for is still pretty limited, and that
> accordingly I found my time better spent working on a higher-level
> solution that didn't need C-psql anyway. Whether C-psql is
> sufficient for what David had in mind I can't say.

The kind of stuff I have in mind is regression tests. As with
coverage and Dtrace, they might not be the ones that get run by
default, but right now, we have no real way in the regression tests to
test concurrency issues at all, as far as I know, so it would be good
to have some way to catch this stuff.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!