Re: namespaces and schemas

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
To: Christoph Dalitz <christoph(dot)dalitz(at)hs-niederrhein(dot)de>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: namespaces and schemas
Date: 2002-07-02 15:04:30
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Christoph Dalitz wrote:

> Dear PG-users,
>
> while praparing a database teaching class with PG 7.1, I have some trouble
> setting up a working multi user environment.
>
> My problem is that when some user does a "CREATE TABLE", this table is
> created in the *global* namespace, not in the private user schema as I
> would have expected.
>
> This means that only the first user can create a table with a given name;
> all other users are blocked from using this name in the future.
>
> Question:
>
> Is it possible to assign different users different namespaces?
>
> My current impressions:
>
> - SCHEMA seems to be on the TODO list for PG 7.3.
> Thus this problem might be solved next (?) year.
>
> - With PG 7.1 or 7.2 the only way I see is to use a separate database
> for each user. As we have about 50 groups in the course, this might
> cause some trouble elsewhere.
> Is there another workaround?

I'd upgrade to 7.2.1 and give everybody their own database. I've never
seen a problem with lots of seperate databases in postgresql, and we run
dozens on our production box (each program gets its own database).

Each empty database uses only about 1.7 megs of disc space, by the way, so
unless you're on a machine with a really small drive, having bunches of
databases shouldn't be any real problem.

Scott Marlowe

-- "Force has no place where there is need of skill.", "Haste in every
business brings failures.", "This is the bitterest pain among men, to have
much knowledge but no power." -- Herodotus