Re: namespaces and schemas

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: Christoph Dalitz <christoph(dot)dalitz(at)hs-niederrhein(dot)de>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: namespaces and schemas
Date: 2002-07-02 17:37:38
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Christoph Dalitz wrote:
>
> > Dear PG-users,
> >
> > while praparing a database teaching class with PG 7.1, I have some trouble
> > setting up a working multi user environment.
> >
> > My problem is that when some user does a "CREATE TABLE", this table is
> > created in the *global* namespace, not in the private user schema as I
> > would have expected.
> >
> > This means that only the first user can create a table with a given name;
> > all other users are blocked from using this name in the future.
> >
> > Question:
> >
> > Is it possible to assign different users different namespaces?
> >
> > My current impressions:
> >
> > - SCHEMA seems to be on the TODO list for PG 7.3.
> > Thus this problem might be solved next (?) year.
> >
> > - With PG 7.1 or 7.2 the only way I see is to use a separate database
> > for each user. As we have about 50 groups in the course, this might
> > cause some trouble elsewhere.
> > Is there another workaround?
>
> I'd upgrade to 7.2.1 and give everybody their own database. I've never
> seen a problem with lots of seperate databases in postgresql, and we run
> dozens on our production box (each program gets its own database).
>
> Each empty database uses only about 1.7 megs of disc space, by the way, so
> unless you're on a machine with a really small drive, having bunches of
> databases shouldn't be any real problem.

Scott, there is a big problem with your approach in web environment
if you want to have persistent connection to each database for each
httpd backend. With SCHEMA you'll need to keep only one connection
(for each backend). It'd be a very big win and solve many pgsql-based
hosting problem, I hope.

> Scott Marlowe
>
> -- "Force has no place where there is need of skill.", "Haste in every
> business brings failures.", "This is the bitterest pain among men, to have
> much knowledge but no power." -- Herodotus

Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83