Re: namespaces and schemas

From: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Christoph Dalitz <christoph(dot)dalitz(at)hs-niederrhein(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: namespaces and schemas
Date: 2002-07-02 11:19:52
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Christoph Dalitz wrote:

> Dear PG-users,
>
> while praparing a database teaching class with PG 7.1, I have some trouble
> setting up a working multi user environment.
>
> My problem is that when some user does a "CREATE TABLE", this table is
> created in the *global* namespace, not in the private user schema as I
> would have expected.
>
> This means that only the first user can create a table with a given name;
> all other users are blocked from using this name in the future.
>
> Question:
>
> Is it possible to assign different users different namespaces?
>
> My current impressions:
>
> - SCHEMA seems to be on the TODO list for PG 7.3.
> Thus this problem might be solved next (?) year.

The development version (7.3dev) already has schema support. It's not
necessarily to be recommended but unless you want near certainty there aren't
problems lurking in 7.3 that weren't in 7.2.1 I would suggest you obtain the
7.3dev and try it out.

> > - With PG 7.1 or 7.2 the only way I see is to use a
separate database
> for each user. As we have about 50 groups in the course, this might
> cause some trouble elsewhere.
> Is there another workaround?

I'm not sure what trouble there could be. I've not heard of people using large
numbers of databases but I don't see that it would be a problem. Unless someone
else has some information to impart on this I'd suggest you try it out, not
necessarily infront of the classes.

I would also suggest that before you start you obtain 7.2.1, if not the 7.3dev
for schema support, and use that.

--
Nigel J. Andrews
Director