Re: namespaces and schemas

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Christoph Dalitz <christoph(dot)dalitz(at)hs-niederrhein(dot)de>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: namespaces and schemas
Date: 2002-07-02 13:39:01
Lists: pgsql-general

"Nigel J. Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> The development version (7.3dev) already has schema support. It's not
> necessarily to be recommended but unless you want near certainty there aren't
> problems lurking in 7.3 that weren't in 7.2.1 I would suggest you obtain the
> 7.3dev and try it out.

7.3 is *not* in shape for production use yet. I too would recommend
using 7.2.1 over 7.1, but that won't help his problem.

>> - With PG 7.1 or 7.2 the only way I see is to use a
>> separate database
>> for each user. As we have about 50 groups in the course, this might
>> cause some trouble elsewhere.
>> Is there another workaround?

> I'm not sure what trouble there could be.

Should work fine; I've seen people using hundreds of separate databases.
It's a tad wasteful of disk space (since each DB needs its own copy of
the basic system catalogs, at a meg or two each) but it works. If you
want airtight separation between users, a DB per user will probably be
the preferred setup even in 7.3.