PostgreSQL and ASLR on Linux

From: "Robert Lerche (rlerche)" <rlerche(at)cisco(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Sailesh Krishnamurthy (sailkris)" <sailkris(at)cisco(dot)com>
Subject: PostgreSQL and ASLR on Linux
Date: 2013-07-31 20:35:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi. Has anyone had experience building PostgreSQL to support Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR)? I recently took a brute-force approach (compiling everything with -fPIC and specifying -pie on all executables). This worked, but a (very superficial) performance test indicated a high cost (around 50%, much more than I expected). This was on 64-bit Linux x86.

Google turns up some references to the Ubuntu distribution of version 8.3 being built this way but nothing much more interesting.

I'd appreciate any information or help anyone can give me on this. Thanks.