Re: Backup throttling

From: Antonin Houska <antonin(dot)houska(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Gibheer <gibheer(at)zero-knowledge(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Backup throttling
Date: 2013-07-31 20:50:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 07/31/2013 07:13 AM, Gibheer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> That is a really nice feature.
I don't pretend it's my idea, I just coded it. My boss proposed the
feature as such :-)
> I took a first look at your patch and some empty lines you added (e.g. line 60 your patch). Can you remove
> them?
Sure, will do in the next version.
> Why did you move localGetCurrentTimestamp() into streamutil.c? Is sys/time.h still needed in receivelog.c after the move?
Because both receivelog.c and pg_basebackup.c need it now. I thought I
could move localTimestampDifference() and
localTimestampDifferenceExceeds() as well for the sake of consistency
(these are actually utilities too) but I didn't get convinced enough
that the feature alone justifies such a change.

As mentioned in
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20130731173624.GX14652@eldon.alvh.no-ip.org
these functions ideally shouldn't have separate implementation at all.
However the problem is that pg_basebackup is not linked to the backend.

You're right about sys/time.h, it's included via via streamutil.h. I'll
fix that too.
> I will try your patch later today to see, if it works.

Whenever you have time. Thanks!

// Tony