Many processes blocked at ProcArrayLock

From: Xiaoyulei <xiaoyulei(at)huawei(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Many processes blocked at ProcArrayLock
Date: 2014-12-02 08:07:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Test configuration:
Hardware:
4P intel server, 60 core 120 hard thread.
Memory:512G
SSD:2.4T

PG:
max_connections = 160 # (change requires restart)
shared_buffers = 32GB
work_mem = 128MB
maintenance_work_mem = 32MB
bgwriter_delay = 100ms # 10-10000ms between rounds
bgwriter_lru_maxpages = 200 # 0-1000 max buffers written/round
bgwriter_lru_multiplier = 2.0 # 0-10.0 multipler on buffers scanned/round
wal_level = minimal # minimal, archive, or hot_standby
wal_buffers = 256MB # min 32kB, -1 sets based on shared_buffers
autovacuum = off
checkpoint_timeout=60min
checkpoint_segments = 1000
archive_mode = off
synchronous_commit = off
fsync = off
full_page_writes = off

We use tpcc and pgbench to test postgresql 9.4beat2 performance. And we found the tps/tpmc could not increase with the terminal increase. The detail information is in attachment.

Many processes is blocked, I dump the call stack, and found these processes is blocked at: ProcArrayLock. 60% processes is blocked in ProcArrayEndTransaction with ProcArrayLock EXCLUSIVE, 20% is in GetSnapshotData with ProcArrayLock SHARED. Others locks like XLogFlush and WALInsertLock are not very heavy.

Is there any way we solve this problem?

Attachment Content-Type Size
image/png 21.6 KB