Re: WHat do people think about using in production?

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>, "Joel Fradkin" <jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WHat do people think about using in production?
Date: 2005-07-26 12:47:22
Lists: pgsql-odbc

________________________________

From: pgsql-odbc-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
[mailto:pgsql-odbc-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Merlin Moncure
Sent: 26 July 2005 13:24
To: Joel Fradkin
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ODBC] WHat do people think about using in
production?

My personal opinion is that atm the libpq driver is already as
good as or better than the pre-libpq driver. There may be a few as of
yet undiscovered reliability issues or busted features, so there is some
risk with the switchover. Since Dave fixed the excel bug, today I'm
going to switch over my application stack to the new driver and give a
more qualitative analysis.

Somewhat unintentionally I should add - it started working after what I
believed were unrelated fixes :-)

Since the new driver is a much better design, (and supports the
level 3 protocol!) it will only get better. I think that you can also
give some really good feedback about utf-8 capabilities of the driver
(expect some problems here). I hate to suggest new technology to bail
you out of a nasty situation but ISTM this is the only situation with a
high chance of long term success. The only other option I see is to
build a stronger test suite and hang back for a bit and closely monitor
progress.

I agree - the new driver does seem to be at least as good. There are
some more improvements in CVS that haven't made the snapshots yet that
you might want to wait for - specifically, backend error messages are
reported properly now, rather than a default message being issued, a few
leaks and other minor issues have been solved, and SSL support has been
added (not that I expect Joel will want to use that).

How heavily have you load tested the new driver?

I've hammered it with ODBCBench, and a simple IIS app thrashed with
ApacheBench. I've not made it crash yet :-) (but then I couldn't
reproduce Joel's problems with the older driver).

Regards, Dave.