Re: WHat do people think about using in production?

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Joel Fradkin" <jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WHat do people think about using in production?
Date: 2005-07-26 12:23:45
Lists: pgsql-odbc

My personal opinion is that atm the libpq driver is already as good as
or better than the pre-libpq driver. There may be a few as of yet
undiscovered reliability issues or busted features, so there is some
risk with the switchover. Since Dave fixed the excel bug, today I'm
going to switch over my application stack to the new driver and give a
more qualitative analysis.

Since the new driver is a much better design, (and supports the level 3
protocol!) it will only get better. I think that you can also give some
really good feedback about utf-8 capabilities of the driver (expect some
problems here). I hate to suggest new technology to bail you out of a
nasty situation but ISTM this is the only situation with a high chance
of long term success. The only other option I see is to build a
stronger test suite and hang back for a bit and closely monitor
progress.

How heavily have you load tested the new driver?

Merlin