Re: INSERT ... ON CONFLICT {UPDATE | IGNORE}

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: INSERT ... ON CONFLICT {UPDATE | IGNORE}
Date: 2014-10-27 18:43:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 11:12 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> 1. Take the specific docs that relate to the patch and put them in one
> place, so that everybody can read and understand and agree the
> behaviour of the patch. So that someone reading that can see *exactly*
> what is being proposed, not read through pages of other unchanged
> material hoping to catch the few points that really differ.

I'm afraid I don't follow. I have links to the user-visible
documentation (v1.3) on the Wiki:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/UPSERT#Documentation

The documentation is complete. I link to every interesting page from
the documentation directly from the Wiki, too. Of course, I also
describe the issues in more detail for those with an interest in the
implementation on the Wiki page itself (and list open issues). I have
isolation tests that illustrate the new facets of visibility for READ
COMMITTED, too.

How, specifically, have I failed to do what you ask here? If you want
to see exactly what has changed, in a differential fashion, well,
that's what a diff is for. I'm not aware of any existing way of
rendering to html for readability, while highlighting what is new.

--
Peter Geoghegan