Re: Problem with displaying "wide" tables in psql

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Emre Hasegeli <emre(at)hasegeli(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Sergey Muraviov <sergey(dot)k(dot)muraviov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Problem with displaying "wide" tables in psql
Date: 2014-04-11 20:47:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Yeah, I think I agree. I'm pretty happy to commit it without old-ascii
doing anything special.

It looks to me like old-ascii just isn't very useful for a single column
output (like expanded mode is implicitly). Maybe that needs to be fixed but
then it needs to be fixed for non expanded mode as well.

I don't think this new output is very useful dive it just displays the
old-ascii info for the header cells. The header cells never wrap and often
have a lot of empty lines so it just looks like noise.

I do think the earlier change today was important. It looks great now with
the wrap and newline indicators in ascii and Unicode mode.

Fwiw I've switched my .psqlrc to use Unicode and wrapped=auto be default.
It makes psql way more usable. It's even better than my old technique of
running it in Emacs and scrolling left and right.

I'll take a look at it this evening and will add regression tests (and
probably more comments too!) and commit. I want to try adding Unicode
regression tests but I'm not sure what the state of the art is for Unicode
fallback behaviour on the build farm. I think there are some existing tests
we can copy iirc.

--
greg