Re: Directory/File Access Permissions for COPY and Generic File Access Functions

From: Adam Brightwell <adam(dot)brightwell(at)crunchydatasolutions(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Directory/File Access Permissions for COPY and Generic File Access Functions
Date: 2014-10-28 15:33:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert,

> Given that no fewer than four people - all committers - have expressed
> doubts about the design of this patch, I wonder why you're bothering
> to post a new version.

I understand and my intent was in no way to disregard those concerns. The
only reason that I have posted a new version was simply to address some
minor issues that I noticed when responding to Peter's earlier comment
about missing files.

It seems to me that you should be discussing
> the fundamental design, not making minor updates to the code.

Ok. I'm certainly looking at the other options proposed and will work with
Stephen to put together an appropriate design for discussion here.

I really hope this is not moving in the direction of another "surprise
> commit" like we had with RLS. There is absolutely NOT consensus on
> this design or anything close to it.

Certainly not and I am in no way confused that consensus has not been
reached.

-Adam

--
Adam Brightwell - adam(dot)brightwell(at)crunchydatasolutions(dot)com
Database Engineer - www.crunchydatasolutions.com