Re: How about a proper TEMPORARY TABLESPACE?

From: Matheus de Oliveira <matioli(dot)matheus(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fabrízio Mello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How about a proper TEMPORARY TABLESPACE?
Date: 2014-06-19 01:39:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I was going to answer each message, but Fabrízio summarized everything so
far really nicely. Thanks Fabrízio.

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 5:25 PM, Fabrízio de Royes Mello <
fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Then, to summarize Matheus must do:
> * use an option instead of change the syntax and catalog to indicate that
> a tablespace is used to store temp objects

Yes. I myself wasn't sure TEMPORARY syntax would be good, but I would just
like to hear more about. Storing as an options seems nice to me.

> * throw an exception if we try ALTER the option "only_temp_relations"

I think we should postpone the ALTER option, perhaps as another patch.
Wasn't that what was decided?

I'll investigate the options better before going this route. Let me work on
CREATE first.

> * add regression tests
> * add documentation
>
> And, of course, register to the next open commitfest [1] to get detailed
> feedback and review.

Noted. It will be on the next commitfest. Just knowing some people do want
this make me more comfortable on working better.

Best regards,
--
Matheus de Oliveira
Analista de Banco de Dados