Re: unite recovery.conf and postgresql.conf

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: unite recovery.conf and postgresql.conf
Date: 2011-09-15 14:32:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 8:04 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 5:58 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
>> Alternatively, we could just forget about the whole thing and move
>> everything to postgresql.conf and treat recovery.conf as a simple empty
>> signal file.  I don't know if that's necessarily better.
>
> Seems like it might be simpler.

It seems to need a bit more time until we've reached a consensus about
the treatment of recovery.conf. How about committing the core patch
first, and addressing the recovery.conf issue as a different patch later?

The attached patch provides a core part of the feature, i.e., it moves
every recovery parameters from recovery.conf to postgresql.conf.
Even if you create recovery.conf, the server doesn't read it automatically.

The patch renames recovery.conf to recovery.ready, so if you want to
enter archive recovery or standby mode, you need to create
recovery.ready file in the cluster data directory. Since recovery.ready is
just a signal file, its contents have no effect.

Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
unite_recoveryconf_postgresqlconf_v1.patch text/x-patch 112.3 KB