Re: proposal: a width specification for s specifier (format function), fix behave when positional and ordered placeholders are used

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: a width specification for s specifier (format function), fix behave when positional and ordered placeholders are used
Date: 2012-12-31 16:56:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello

2012/12/31 Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>:
> Pavel,
>
> * Pavel Stehule (pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
>> A result from ours previous talk was a completely disabling mixing
>> positional and ordered placeholders - like is requested by man and gcc
>> raises warnings there.
>>
>> But mixing is not explicitly disallowed in doc, and mixing was tested
>> in our regress tests. There are tests where placeholders are mixed -
>> so anybody can use it.
>> select format('Hello %s %1$s %s', 'World', 'Hello again'); -- is
>> enabled and supported and result is expected
>
> Alright, then I agree that raising a warning in that case makes sense
> and let's update the docs to reflect that it shouldn't be done (like
> what glibc/gcc do).

so there are two patches - first is fix in logic when positional and
ordered parameters are mixed + add warning in this situation. Second
patch enables possibility to specify width for %s conversion.

I didn't finalize documentation due my net good English skills -
probably there is necessary new paragraph about function "format"
elsewhere than in table

Regards

Pavel

> Thanks,
>
> Stephen

Attachment Content-Type Size
fix_mixing_positinal_ordered_placeholders.patch application/octet-stream 4.6 KB
format_width.patch application/octet-stream 13.9 KB