Re: Submission Review: User control over psql error stream

From: "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)meme(dot)com>
To: Alastair Turner <bell(at)ctrlf5(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Submission Review: User control over psql error stream
Date: 2012-12-31 18:11:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Allastair,

On 12/28/2012 02:33:03 PM, Alastair Turner wrote:

> Sorry for the slow reply ...

Such is life.

> The discussion needs to be a little broader than stdout and stderr,
> there are currently three output streams from psql:
> - stdout - prompts, not tabular output such as the results from \set
> and \c
> - stderr - errors, notices, ...
> - query output - result from queries and \ commands which return
> tables such as \l - this is what is currently piped or redirected by
> \o
>
> I see a patch like this adding a fourth - diagnostic output. While
> this would probably be the same as stderr initially but I think that
> the option to make them subtly different should be kept open.

What is the distinction between diagnostic output and stderr?
My thought would be to distinguish between the server error
stream and any errors that psql might generate.

(I have some thoughts on syntax but am not yet ready to respond
to your proposal.)

Regards,

Karl <kop(at)meme(dot)com>
Free Software: "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
-- Robert A. Heinlein