Re: Assertions in PL/PgSQL

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>
Cc: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Assertions in PL/PgSQL
Date: 2013-09-19 12:37:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2013/9/19 Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>

> On 9/19/13 2:08 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>
>> I think so similar frameworks will be exists (we have some similar
>> Probably You and me have a same opinion so only simple and very primitive
>> assert is not enough:
>>
>> I see as useful feature for assertions:
>>
>> a) possibility to specify a message (two parametric assert)
>> b) possibility to specify some threshold
>> c) possibility to specify some level (exception, warning, notice) ..
>> default should be exception
>> c) possibility to specify a handled/unhandled exception
>>

> I think these are all neat ideas on how to further improve this feature.
> I'd like to see at least a) in 9.4, but I haven't yet looked at how it
> could be implemented.

Not all must be implemented in 9.4, although it is +/- only exception
parametrization - not hard for implementation.

But syntax should be prepared for this functionality (or should be
extensible as minimum) before. Bison parser is not friendly for additional
extending :( - and we can break a future extending simply just only on
syntax level with bad design now. It is reason, why I am doing noise here.
I remember relatively difficult extending of RAISE statement.

Regards

Pavel