Re: libpq: indefinite block on poll during network problems

From: Dmitry Samonenko <shreddingwork(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libpq: indefinite block on poll during network problems
Date: 2014-05-30 21:00:30
Lists: pgsql-general

On Friday, May 30, 2014, David G Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Tom Lane-2 wrote
> > That argument seems nonsensical from here. If you need HA then you
> should
> > be using network service monitoring tools, not relying on some random
> > libpq client to decide that its connection has been lost.

I'm troubled with possible 'imperfection' of very simple, yet core feature
- PQexec, which can lead to blocked applications. You believe that the
problem is caused by client design flaw. Okay, fine. Is it possible to mark
this potential problem with warning in official documentation?

> Though this then begs the question: if the connection comes back up what
> happens in the client?

> Depends on the state of the server. If problem was purely network related
- TCP retransmit eventually

If the client is still stuck then I'd say that is