Re: [HACKERS] unable to build postgres-9.4 in os x 10.9 with python

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Cc: Asif Naeem <anaeem(dot)it(at)gmail(dot)com>, reiner peterke <zedaardv(at)drizzle(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] unable to build postgres-9.4 in os x 10.9 with python
Date: 2014-05-30 20:31:57
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com> writes:
> On 05/30/2014 11:52 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> If you do the ld call by hand without the -syslibroot option, it works.
>> AFAICS it could never have worked with such an option, so I'm thinking
>> this is some new misbehavior in the latest version of Xcode.

> There is and the SO thread that goes into detail on this is here:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19555395/python-framework-is-missing-from-os-x-10-9-sdk-why-also-workaround
> The Apple document referenced in above is:
> https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/technotes/tn2328/_index.html

Fun. So after all these years of catering to Apple's preferred weirdness
in this regard, they reverse course and tell us to do it like everywhere
else.

I experimented with just diking out the python_framework case in
configure, and that *almost* works; but for some reason distutils doesn't
admit to having a shared library, so you also have to override that test.

The attached patch fixes this and also removes a long-obsolete comment
claiming that we don't work with Python < 2.5 on OSX (see prairiedog
for evidence to the contrary).

I've tested this successfully on my 10.9.3 laptop as well as on dromedary
and prairiedog, so I'm thinking we should patch not only HEAD but all the
back branches. Any objections?

regards, tom lane

PS: why aren't any of the buildfarm members using 10.9 building
--with-python? We should have known about this months ago, ISTM.

Attachment Content-Type Size
link-plpython-normally-on-osx.patch text/x-diff 4.4 KB