Re: Slowness of extended protocol

From: Shay Rojansky <roji(at)roji(dot)org>
To: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov(dot)vladimir(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Greg S <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Slowness of extended protocol
Date: 2016-08-15 18:23:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I'm not going to respond to the part about dealing with prepared
>> statements errors, since I think we've already covered that and there's
>> nothing new being said. I don't find automatic savepointing acceptable, and
>> a significant change of the PostgreSQL protocol to support this doesn't
>> seem reasonable (but you can try proposing).
>>

> As mentioned before. JDBC is not the only postgres driver to do this the
> ODBC driver does this as well. This is a requested feature by users. We
> didn't just decide to do it on our own.
>
> One thing to keep in mind is that both JDBC and ODBC are not exclusively
> PostgreSQL drivers and as such we sometimes have to jump through hoops to
> provide the semantics requested by the API.

I don't have anything in particular against automatic savepointing when
requested directly by users (especially if it's opt-in). My problem is more
with automatic savepointing as a solution to a problem created by doing
automatic prepared statements... Way too much automatic stuff going on
there for my taste...