Re: Slowness of extended protocol

From: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
To: Shay Rojansky <roji(at)roji(dot)org>
Cc: Vladimir Sitnikov <sitnikov(dot)vladimir(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Greg S <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Slowness of extended protocol
Date: 2016-08-15 18:19:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I'm not going to respond to the part about dealing with prepared
> statements errors, since I think we've already covered that and there's
> nothing new being said. I don't find automatic savepointing acceptable, and
> a significant change of the PostgreSQL protocol to support this doesn't
> seem reasonable (but you can try proposing).

As mentioned before. JDBC is not the only postgres driver to do this the
ODBC driver does this as well. This is a requested feature by users. We
didn't just decide to do it on our own.

One thing to keep in mind is that both JDBC and ODBC are not exclusively
PostgreSQL drivers and as such we sometimes have to jump through hoops to
provide the semantics requested by the API.

Dave Cramer

davec(at)postgresintl(dot)com
www.postgresintl.com