Re: Shave a few instructions from child-process startup sequence

From: Gurjeet Singh <gurjeet(at)singh(dot)im>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, PGSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Shave a few instructions from child-process startup sequence
Date: 2013-12-01 17:07:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 9:12 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> This is a performance patch, so it should come with benchmark results
> demonstrating that it accomplishes its intended purpose. I don't see
> any.

Yes, this is a performance patch, but as the subject says, it saves a few
instructions. I don't know how to write a test case that can measure
savings of skipping a few instructions in a startup sequence that
potentially takes thousands, or even millions, of instructions.

Best regards,
--
Gurjeet Singh http://gurjeet.singh.im/

EDB Corp. www.EnterpriseDB.com <http://www.enterprisedb.com>