Re: Move the postgreSQL database from Drive C to Map Network Drive (Called Z)

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: EllyR <ela_macky(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Move the postgreSQL database from Drive C to Map Network Drive (Called Z)
Date: 2012-05-03 21:12:56
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 8:55 PM, EllyR <ela_macky(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a huge Postgres database on my C drive, I am continuously collecting
> the data, so unfortunately, the drive is getting full and I wanted to move
> it to a map network drive I got. I followed the instruction in the link

It's not supported to run PostgreSQL off a windows network drive. It
might work, but it might also not - most likely it won't. There are
many different scenarios where this can cause corruption, and that's
why it's not supported.

<snip>

> 4 - Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\pgsql-8.0

Note that PostgreSQL 8.0 is not supported, and hasn't been for years.
You need to upgrade to at least 8.3 to get a supported version.

> But after doing all the things mentioned in the link, when I want to start
> the postgres again as a service, it can not be started, it seems it does not
> recognize the map network drive , would you please let me know if I am in
> the right track or I need to do something else? any help is appreciated.
> Thanks.

As PostgreSQL runs as it's own service, it has it's own set of network
drives. You need to make that map in the profile of the postgres user
for it to work. I'm pretty sure the instructions you've been following
are designed for moving the installation to a different *local* drive,
not to a network drive, which is why this is not mentioned there.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/