Re: tracking commit timestamps

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: tracking commit timestamps
Date: 2014-11-04 08:25:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 5:05 PM, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
wrote:

> On 2014-11-02 19:27:25 +0100, Petr Jelinek wrote:
> > Well, Michael has point that the extradata is pretty much useless
> currently,
> > perhaps it would help to add the interface to set extradata?
>
> Only accessible via C and useless aren't the same thing. But sure, add
> it.

I'm still on a -1 for that. You mentioned that there is perhaps no reason
to delay a decision on this matter, but IMO there is no reason to rush
either in doing something we may regret. And I am not the only one on this
thread expressing concern about this extra data thingy.

If this extra data field is going to be used to identify from which node a
commit comes from, then it is another feature than what is written on the
subject of this thread. In this case let's discuss it in the thread
dedicated to replication identifiers, or come up with an extra patch once
the feature for commit timestamps is done.
--
Michael