Re: Allowing join removals for more join types

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dilip kumar <dilip(dot)kumar(at)huawei(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Allowing join removals for more join types
Date: 2014-06-17 10:04:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 12:50 AM, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> wrote:

> As a point of procedure, I recommend separating the semijoin support into
> its
> own patch. Your patch is already not small; delaying non-essential parts
> will
> make the essential parts more accessible to reviewers.

In the attached patch I've removed all the SEMI and ANTI join removal code
and left only support for LEFT JOIN removal of sub-queries that can be
proved to be unique on the join condition by looking at the GROUP BY and
DISTINCT clause.

Example:

SELECT t1.* FROM t1 LEFT OUTER JOIN (SELECT value,COUNT(*) FROM t2 GROUP BY
value) t2 ON t1.id = t2.value;

Regards

David Rowley

Attachment Content-Type Size
subquery_leftjoin_removal_v1.1.patch application/octet-stream 17.2 KB