Re: Support for REINDEX CONCURRENTLY

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Support for REINDEX CONCURRENTLY
Date: 2012-12-09 17:15:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 8 December 2012 15:14, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Maybe the best way is to admit that we need a short-term exclusive lock
> for the swapping step.

Which wouldn't be so bad if this is just for the toast index, since in
many cases the index itself is completely empty anyway, which must
offer opportunities for optimization.

> Or we could wait for MVCC catalog access ...

If there was a published design for that, it would help believe in it more.

Do you think one exists?

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/