Re: Support for REINDEX CONCURRENTLY

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Support for REINDEX CONCURRENTLY
Date: 2012-12-09 17:29:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 8 December 2012 15:14, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Or we could wait for MVCC catalog access ...

> If there was a published design for that, it would help believe in it more.
> Do you think one exists?

Well, there have been discussion threads about it in the past. I don't
recall whether any insoluble issues were raised. I think the concerns
were mostly about performance, if we start taking many more snapshots
than we have in the past.

The basic idea isn't hard: anytime a catalog scan is requested with
SnapshotNow, replace that with a freshly taken MVCC snapshot. I think
we'd agreed that this could safely be optimized to "only take a new
snapshot if any new heavyweight lock has been acquired since the last
one". But that'll still be a lot of snapshots, and we know the
snapshot-getting code is a bottleneck already. I think the discussions
mostly veered off at this point into how to make snapshots cheaper.