Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters
Date: 2013-12-23 19:35:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 2:19 PM, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> wrote:
>> I would think that you'd need to have auto_explain loaded in the
>> backend where you're trying to make a change, but you shouldn't need
>> the setting to be present in postgresql.conf, I would think.
>
> This appears to be the case. I hadn't set the library to be loaded in
> the config.
>
> I guess therefore it follows that arbitrary configuration parameters
> aren't supported (e.g. moo.bark = 5), only pre-defined ones.

Yeah, and that's by design. Otherwise, it would be too easy to set a
config parameter to a value that wasn't legal, and therefore make the
server fail to start. moo.bark = 5 likely won't cause any problems,
but auto_explain.log_verbose = fasle could. By insisting that the
module providing the GUC be loaded, we can sanity-check the value at
the time it gets set.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company