Re: pg_upgrade & tablespaces

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade & tablespaces
Date: 2013-12-23 19:36:19
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On 12/23/2013 6:50 AM, Joseph Kregloh wrote:

> Well the original architect started out in the 80s with banking
> databases they just kept that model without revisiting if it works
> well or not, that might explain it a little bit. But also given the
> size of our tables we use the physical disks and filesytem advantages
> to improve speed and performance of the application, but not as often
> as I would like. We have a pretty big database.

I've found these days, you're usually better off just stripping all your
mirrors into one big raid10, and letting statistics load balance your
IO. I've got stripe sets of as many as 20 small-fast drives, totalling
several terabytes, using XFS (Linux), or ZFS (Solaris, BSD), or JFS2
(AIX), all of which seem to handle the large file system quite efficiently.

--
john r pierce 37N 122W